Sunday, December 13, 2009

Can't I Just Pay What is on the Tag?

Yesterday evening we were able to get in touch with some of the other families that are here adopting and made plans to get together today.  This morning, we met up with another family from the States, also using WACAP and headed out to the weekend market.  Rode the Skytrain there...*side note - I am not a fan of heights but used to run up to catch the "El" reading a book and eating my lunch at the same time, this was not the El.  This form of transportation was in the clouds, I don't think bugs or possibly even birds can survive at this elevation, to say I was not a fan is a huge understatement.  Once we reached the summit of the platform I grabbed Wi tightly and sat down as from from the railing as possible and proceeded to have a mild panic attack. Once we reached the market, John had to carry the little guy down the 23 flights of stairs (not literally but I was starting to hyperventilate and that is how many stairs it felt like) because I had to use both hands on one railing to walk myself down - it wasn't my finest moment. 
The Market - 28 acres and 10,000 booths, really cool place to wander around.  There were no cars and narrow walkways between the rows of booths so Wi was able to get down and walk around himself a bit. Here is the thing though, you have to barter with everyone, it is expected and that is just how this place works.  Unfortunately, that is not how John and I work.  It took a good 20 minutes for me to convince John to do it so that I could get my sister a gift but he used Wi as an excuse to walk away and I was left stuttering before finally just putting the item down and walking away embarassed.  I caught up to John and said "So, when Wi takes his nap I am going to run up to the mall, OK?"  The one time John did sucessfully stand his ground and barter with the guy, the guy scammed him out of half of his change, but with Wi tugging on you it is hard to concentrate fully on anything else.  We walked around there for just a few hours then headed back again - in a cab, the way we were meant to travel.  In the afternoon we did go up to Central Chitlom again as we were running out of clothes that could feasibly fit Wi and grabbed some dinner.  Actually, before that, we called the other family that was in Songkhla with us as we had asked if they could pick up a few things from the orphanage that we did not receive when we were there and they wre able to get the items and left them at their hotel front desk for us!  We were able to get a few of the things we had sent Wi over the last few years, namely a stuffed animal and one of the photo albums, but most importantly his complete and updated medical reports and his daily schedule.  We immediately checked out his schedule, looked at each other and realized why the child disliked us so much...we were feeding him and sleeping at all of the wrong times, and totally skipping a few of the much needed snack times!  Hopefully with this new information we can be a step ahead of the game from now on!  Well, Wi is all tucked in with all of his stuffed animals now and we are going to try to get some rest as tomorrow we meet with the Thai social worker and apply for Wi's passport!  Wish us luck...
Love,
Nancy, John and Wi

At the Weekend Market - if planning on going, be there before they open at 8am

Tucking in all of his stuffed animals for bedtime

5 comments:

Sharon said...

Just loving reading your blog Nancy! Do what I do, barter casually then give the guy or gal a tip. I don't bother making a big deal out of 10 or 20 baht but some people will. If I buy more than one item I will barter for a better price.

I can see that sparkle in Wi's eye - he sure is special! You can see he feels really comfortable with you two.

Jennifer said...

LOVE reading your adventures guys! Just remember, you have to feed toddlers every 2 hours. I remember this, because I also need to be fed on this schedule!! :) That's why God made fruit snacks, etc. And while I am highly entertained by your tales of missteps, etc, I can see what a wonderful job you are doing, by the light in Wi's eyes, and his big grin! What a cutie, and how wonderful to have him happy already! This was certainly meant to be. How cool that Wi will have these accounts of your trip as stories of how you came to be a family when he is big enough to ask! (Also, thanks for the warning about the train!! Yikes! Will have to try that when no one I know is watching, so I don't cry in front of Sid!).
Jenn and Todd

Sharon said...

OR when they tell you the price, say oh, 'paeng maak' (very expensive) and they will give you a better price straight away, that way you don't have to stand and barter. If you are happy with the new price then pay.

Jessica said...

What a sweet, sweet boy he is. Just look at that little face. Love that he's tucking his animals in for the night.

Maci Miller said...

Okay, this is the last post I read. Imagine my surprise this morning! It's been a bumpy week around here with the internet and my email acct acting up, Ruby & I with colds, and Ruby's giardia is back. Neither of us slept much and because the internet was a pain, I didn't have time to mess with it much. So sorry I wasn't able to follow all the little things!

So great you were able to catch up with the other family and go to Chatuchak! Seems like you were able to get in some sight seeing with the little guy. That is great. Can't wait to read the other posts now and get caught up!!!!
Jen