Thursday, December 17, 2009

Ups and Downs

Like I mentioned yesterday, we double checked the medical forms and realized that nothing was filled out properly or signed in the correct places even, so we went to the other reccomended place to have his medical done again and things went much better.  I was tempted to get John checked out as he is really not feeling well and both of us are getting worse by the day but we had a mission at hand to complete.  Wi saw the doctor, while we did not agree with one thing she was saying about him, John finally kicked me under the table and gave me a look that said "quit fighting her, let her think what she wants, get the forms filled out so we can leave quickly"...which I did...Raced back to the hotel where I put both of my boys down for a rest and waited for the phone to ring.  Early afternoon, we received the call to come on down back to Homeland Security to go over the Visa paperwork.  I have to tell you something about the Homeland Security office that is hysterical...so the "gaurd" at the desk has been alseep more times than not when we have been there (this is the 4th or 5th time now) and while he has only checked my bag once and not even the whole thing just lifted the main flap, we have yet to be able to walk through the metal detector without lathering hand sanatizer on all three of us!  Unfortunately for him, I think it is too late to clean us of germs...
The meeting went well, discussed the various events that led up to this day and Wi's background, verified that we are still married and got the seal of approval that all paperwork was complete and in order!  Man, I am proud of us!!!  We hurried over to the Embassy across the street as we were not sure what time they closed and met with another woman to re-verify everything that Homeland Security went over.  Again, they just needed one extra copy of a paper that they were happy to photocopy themselves and asked us to be back early Friday morning for the final interview! 
We strolled leisurely back to the hotel, walking in and out of sidewalk markets and picking up bites to eat here and there, all in all a great day...but we are starting to be ready to come home.  It is hard with everything legal still hanging over our heads to truly relax and enjoy our time here fully.  Also, the sicker John gets, the more Wi demands of him.  Now I cannot even hold his hand in public, only Daddy.  Thankfully I had read up on this sort of thing during the waiting phase of the process and know that this is completely normal and not to take it personally.  See Jen, I did retain some of the things you had me read!  When we are in the hotel, Nancy as Mommy is great and funny and wonderful to tickle and cuddle and play with, even in the lobby...the second we hit the sidewalk, Mommy no more...It also seems to make a difference when there are other Thai women around and they speak to him in Thai - perhaps reminds him too much of his nannies and he feels like he is betraying them for the care they gave him by letting me now take care of him...at least that is what the books say and since it makes sense, that is what I am going with. Also, we found out that all of the children at Wi's orphanage call the director Mom, I cannot even imagine how confusing this all is for the Wi One, there were only two men on the whole campus and I don't think Wi ever even interacted with them...more later, I am not feeling so great anymore either...
Love,
Nancy, John and Wi


Wi reading up on current events while we waited for the USCIS to call - kept this up until he had looked at every page of the whole paper! This child cracks us up all day!

1 comment:

Maci Miller said...

He looks so cute reading the paper! LOL! So glad the paperwork went pretty smoothly. Funny about Homeland Security sleeping cause they checked us like crazy and had me empty half the contents of my bag (had computer stuff in there) and leave with them till we got done. When we came back again an hour or so later they did not remember us and we had to go through the whole thing again! You just never know how it will be, I guess!

Sounds like you are handling things with Wi good with him wanting to be with Daddy a lot. Yes, I am proud of you reading, haha! Hang in there. It didn't take too long for Ruby to bond with Jeff even though she bonded with me more at first. Exactly the same as you - playing, laughing in the room, but when out, bedtime, or naptime clinging to Mommy. Gradually over the last 2 months she has bonded with Jeff. The last 2 weeks has been amazing and she will sometimes go to him over me and will let him hold her longer and snuggle with him on the couch, etc. It's really great to see. I'm sure it will be the same for you. Have some ideas for you on that too but too much for your comment box!